AN IDEA is a grassroots level Dalit organization dedicated to ensuring human rights for all and to eliminate discrimination based on untouchability practices; ensure equality of status and opportunities for all, regardless of caste, class or gender; and to ensure the rule of law. It was started in the year 1981 by eminent social activists from rural families in the rural area to work for the development of the lowest castes and poor households. It was registered under Indian Societies Registration act and Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act of 1976. It is managed by an executive committee of 7 members. The organization is presently working in 50 villages at Mayiladuthurai, Sembanarkoil, Sirkali and Tranquebar areas in Nagappattinam District, Tamil Nadu.
The vision of AN IDEA is to build a just society without discrimination, social injustice and violence
The mission of AN IDEA is to struggle against all oppression and discrimination and to creatively engage in reconstruction of social relationships and social structures towards enabling the Dalit Community to live a life of dignity
The goal of AN IDEA is to address violations of human rights of Dalit Women and to work positively work towards strengthening the Dalit Communities by using human rights campaign, research, building action-reflection strategies, and by increasing the consciousness on human rights and social justice by way of human rights education in an on- going way.
AN IDEA is striving to secure, protect and promote their social, cultural, economic and political rights. The primary focus and objectives of AN IDEA are as follows:
- Facilitation of the building up of AN IDEA into a vibrant agricultural labourers collective looking into wider issues of minimum and equal wages, public distribution systems, employment guarantee, addressing atrocities and violence against Dalit women, domestic violence etc;
- Securing education rights to children and eradicating child labour.
- Securing health rights through the work with community bare foot doctors who have emerged as healers in the area and campaigning for right to health care through facilitating the process of better implementation of state health programmers.
- Initiating livelihood and constructive activities to promote natural and organic farming and social marketing enterprises by women such as promotion of neem fertilizer, bio pesticides, herbal medicines, livestock development etc;
- Initiating agricultural reconstruction through promotion of organic and natural farming, water harvesting, and land development programmes etc among farming communities.
- Ensuring access to basic rights of communities of the agricultural and wage labourers from the government such as BPL cards, social security such as pensions and social benefits, housing, electricity, sanitation, Panchayat and local governance issues and right to information etc;
- Using alternative ways of increasing societal consciousness and to build critical mass of people in the communities to work towards social change by using research, training, campaigns, education, and cultural media etc as tools;
ACTIVITIES OF THE ORGANIZATION
- We Conducted theatre training for grassroots level youth to create cultural troupes at 16 districts;
- We collaborate with “Samathuva Samuthaya Sangham” in our district for 2 years;
- We produced 2 audio cassettes and 2 video cassettes on non-formal education;
- We conducted training for short film makers and actors;
- We published awareness song booklet;
- Tsunami rehabilitation activities with the support of NESA and NCCI;
- Taking women issues collaborating with state and national level organization;
- Translating dalit and bhahujan educational materials;
- Linkages with dalit movements for training and support;
- Coordinating theater troupes and assisting them to involve social development;
- Awareness creation for natural disasters, emergencies prevention;
- Coordination with NCCIURM (National Council of Churches in India) for protecting dalit Christians rights;
No.1, Nallamuthan Street, Mamarathumedai,
|Bank account information||Bank Name: Canara Bank
Account Name: AN IDEA
Account No: 659